By Peter Borsay
A heritage of Leisure
- explores a number of interests, from festive tradition and track to tourism and sport
- emphasises a conceptual and demanding technique, instead of an easy narrative history
- covers quite a number subject matters together with financial system, nation, classification, identities, position, area and time
- treats the constituent elements of the British Isles as a fluid and dynamic amalgam of neighborhood and nationwide cultures and polities.
Authoritative and fascinating, this article demanding situations traditional perspectives at the heritage of rest and indicates new ways to the topic. Borsay attracts upon the insights supplied by means of quite a few disciplines along that of background - anthropology, the humanities, geography and sociology - to supply a vital consultant to this attention-grabbing zone of study.
Read or Download A History of Leisure: The British Experience since 1500 PDF
Similar sociology of sports books
With a global line-up of individuals, this book examines demanding situations to racism in and during recreation. It addresses the various brokers of switch within the context of wider socio-political shifts and explores problems with coverage formation, practices in recreation and anti-racism in activity, and the problem to activity this present day.
Activities are as different because the those who play them. We run, we leap, and we swim. We kick, hit, cradle, and shoot balls in addition to hit them. We journey sleds within the snow and surf within the sea. From the Olympians of historic Greece to today’s expert athletes, from grownup pick-up football video games to children’s gymnastics periods, humans in any respect degrees of skill perpetually and all over have engaged in game.
Basics of Sociology of recreation and actual job offers details on sociology of activity to organize readers for complex examine or perform within the box. this article explores the effect of game in society and examines careers in activity and actual activity.
What quite is what we now name “sport”? even though ubiquitous, it continues to be a little-understood phenomenon, and - continually above reproach - can take pleasure in a positive or in a different way indulgent public opinion. notwithstanding, in activities virtually not anything is because it turns out. The booklet consequently makes use of a rigorous research of the sociological, anthropological and historic facets that symbolize the game one of the much less identified yet certainly extra attention-grabbing, to denounce the nice mystification.
- Narratives of Travel and Tourism (Current Developments in the Geographies of Leisure and Tourism)
- Frauenfußball. Weibliche Sozialisation: Eine empirische Studie (German Edition)
- The Fantasy Sport Industry: Games within Games (Routledge Research in Sport, Culture and Society)
- Why Sports Morally Matter (Routledge Critical Studies in Sport)
- Running across Europe: The Rise and Size of one of the Largest Sport Markets
- Football Fandom and Migration: An Ethnography of Transnational Practices and Narratives in Vienna and Istanbul (Football Research in an Enlarged Europe)
Extra info for A History of Leisure: The British Experience since 1500